Home » What-do-i-do
I'm A Victim - What Do I Do Now?
If you ever know or suspect that you are a victim of identity theft or any sort of fraud, there are several things you should do.
- Contact one of the three major credit reporting agencies to report the fraud and request that they place a "fraud alert" on your account
- Equifax = www.equifax.com = 1-800-525-6285
- Experian = www.experian.com = 1-800-397-3742
- Trans-Union = www.transunion.com = 1-800-680-7289
- Note: You only need to contact one agency, as they will then contact the other two
- Review your credit reports for other fraud that you may not have found yet
- Contact the police to report the crime and request a copy of the report
- Contact the Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft to make a report
- Contact your bank and let them know
- Contact any business likely to be affected and let them know
- Keep good records of everything you do, when you do it, and whom you speak with